The single most important purchase you will make for your trip is travel insurance. Travel insurance can cover you for many unforeseen events if your travel plans are affected, items are lost or stolen, or if you find yourself in an accident or emergency.
The next most important thing is to read the policy, every word of the PDS (Product Disclosure Statement), so you know what is NOT covered. AND the insurance companies will get out of paying for whatever they can.
- Policies vary greatly so it is very important to be aware of what is covered and make sure all of your needs are met under the policy prior to purchasing it.
· You should read your travel insurance policy’s Product Disclosure Statement (PDS - that’s the fine print) wording thoroughly before you decide on a policy so that you know exactly what you are covered for and how you are covered. Yes, it is boring and tedious but worth it if you need to claim that you know you have cover, or NOT.
· Make sure your travel insurance covers you for activities you plan to participate in such as bungy jumping, skiing, scuba diving (at specific depths), or riding a scooter or moped. Some insurance policies won’t automatically cover you for all sports and activities.
· Any pre-existing medical or psychological condition must be fully disclosed. Insurers have health exclusions, and non-disclosure can void your insurance.
Types of Travel Insurance
· Single (one) Trip: Coverage for a specified period from a few days up to a year. Check with individual insurers as to the maximum insurance period and if extensions are possible.
· Annual Multi-trip: Coverage for a number of short single trips over a period of one year. A maximum time limit for a single trip applies.
Making a Claim
· Take a copy of your travel insurance policy with you (electronic versions are usually available). Follow the claim procedure correctly to satisfy the insurance company when making your claim. If you do not follow the exact claims procedure, insurers may reject your claim outright.
If you have current information with regard to any content on this site
please contact us to review and revise.
Sign up to hear from us about sales, information and events.